Assistant Controller – Madison, Alabama
Warren Averett Staffing & Recruiting is seeking an Assistant Controller for a growing construction service industry client in North Alabama. The Assistant Controller will have the opportunity to grow and is part of succession planning for the department. Additionally, the Assistant Controller will help lead the team of 3-4 highly tenured accountants. This position is hybrid WFH eligible.
The Assistant Controller will lead the day-to-day accounting operations including preparation and review of financial statements, development of internal controls, budgeting, and ensure the accuracy of financial reports and that the results are in compliance with U.S. GAAP.
Our ideal candidate will have a B.S. in Accounting and a minimum of 5+ years of experience in accounting preferably in a construction service industry environment. Knowledge of ASC 606 Revenue Recognition and Percentage of Completion is highly desired. Knowledge of SOX Compliance is highly desired.
- Assist the Controller with analyzing company policies, procedures, and practices to identify opportunities to achieve maximum productivity and profitability while maintaining a strong internal control environment
- Leading and managing the accounting team
- Ensure that account reconciliations are completed timely and accurately
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions to include an orderly accounting filing system
- Deliver timely, accurate and complete financial statements as a part of the month-end closeout process and when directed by the Controller
- Work closely with Branch Leaders to understand their businesses, not just the numbers. Coach them as required to fix their issues rather than doing it yourself
- Participate in relevant portions of annual audits and tax preparations
- Report financial and operating metrics and performance benchmarks as developed by the Controller
- Assist in the production of annual budget and forecasts in collaboration with the President, Controller and Branch Leaders
- Identify variances from the budget and immediately report significant issues to management; assist in identifying the causes of, and course corrections to, such variances
- Comply with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Provide accounting data as required to leadership to facilitate annual audits
- Assist with periodic internal audits to verify balancing and identify any potential fraud
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and 5+ years of relevant experience in accounting with a strong background in month end close and financial reporting; a CPA license is a plus
- Experience in a construction or service industry accounting environment and knowledge of ASC 606 revenue recognition/Percentage of Completion is highly preferred
- Experience with consolidation of financial statements is a plus
- Experience with SOX compliance is preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics is a plus
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills is required
- Knowledge of Business Information/Business Analysis (BI) is a plus.